Monday, May 21, 2012

Busy Weekend

Woohoo!  Look at me....two posts in less than a week!  We'll see if I can keep up with this trend.

We had an insanely busy weekend, and I still feel like I'm recovering from all of it.  Saturday afternoon was the first meeting of the support & action group that I facilitate through the CMTA.  I was SOOOOO nervous!!  I feel like I'm always silencing the 16-year old voice in my head that says, "You're just a young girl....what authority do you have to do this?"  And then I have to give myself a little pep talk and convince myself that I'm not the awkward, shy teenager anymore, and that I am in fact an adult (almost 30....yikes!) and that people will take me seriously.

Anyway, my sweet husband and I spent Friday night and all morning Saturday getting ready for this meeting.  If you're having a gathering of people, you need to feed them, right?  That's my mantra, anyway. So I decided to make some Starbucks-esque lemon pound cakes, barbecue meatballs, and a chicken pasta salad.  (Allow me to add the side note that I do not enjoy cooking.  I CAN cook, and I do it well.  But I pay the price later for the time spent on my feet doing it.)  The food all came together well, and all of the information got put together in time.  While I was waiting for people to show up, I kept having all these visions of nobody showing up, and me sitting there alone in a big ol' conference room eating salad and pound cake by myself.  Thankfully, that's not what happened!  There ended up being 6 of us there....a small group, but a good group.  We did introductions, and then actually spent most of the time talking, sharing our stories and experiences, and asking each other questions.  I'm not sure how everyone else felt, but it was honestly one of the coolest experiences I have ever had!  I've only ever had the opportunity to meet one other person face-to-face with CMT, so it was a bit surreal to be sitting in a room with other people who totally understand the things I go through.  I didn't get to much of what was on the agenda, and I totally don't even care.  We did talk a bit about the fundraiser that we're planning for September, so we can get the ball rolling for that.  I am beyond excited to get to know all of these people better, and can't wait for our next meeting!!

Sunday was another long day.  First off, at 9 am, my husband and I each had to give a 15-minute talk at our church meeting.  It went well and I was happy to do it, but that meant getting up earlier than my tired body wanted to so I could get everyone out the door in time. (We barely made it!)  After that, we got the family all loaded up to head down to Southern Utah to check out the annular solar eclipse.  By the time we picked my son up from his dad, swung by to grab everyone else, and got to where we were going, we had been in the car for roughly 5 hours.  Now, I've been on a lot of long drives in my life, and aside from a little muscle stiffness, I've never really had a problem.  But yesterday, I started having a new problem that I'd never really experienced before.  I had been so busy making sure my baby was happy, that I hadn't noticed my left leg (the one I wear my AFO on) slowly swelling.  It was fairly swollen and sore when we finally got out of the car, but a bit of walking around at the park seemed to help.  The city we were in was supposedly THE spot to see the eclipse, so there were quite a few people there.  We were set up in a park, so the kids had a chance to get some energy out and go play on the playground for a couple hours, and I had a chance to just lounge around with my baby.

I was feeling tired, but pretty good when we started out on what ended up being a 5-hour drive home (normally, without all the traffic, it would have taken just over 3 hours).  By the time we arrived home at 1:15 am, I was in a lot of pain.  My back was screaming, every single joint in my body felt locked up, it felt like I had charlie horses throughout my legs, and my left leg was more swollen than I had seen it in a very long time.  We got the kids into bed, and then I sat down on the edge of my bed to take my AFO off.  I seriously had to pry the thing off my leg.  The indentations on my leg from my AFO and my sock were bright red, and hurt to touch them.  My husband collapsed on the bed next to me and was immediately asleep....I thought I'd fall right to sleep as well, but that wasn't the case. I was so uncomfortable and in so much pain that I tossed, turned, and cried for about an hour before pure exhaustion took over.

Unfortunately, Monday morning came all too soon.  I feel like I've been run over by a truck.  Luckily the swelling is completely gone, that's one good thing.  If I'd had my choice, I would have instigated a "pajamas and movies" day.  Instead, I had to get all of us presentable and to my son's school to watch his end-of-year program.  He did such a great job, and I was so happy to be able to be there.  Seeing the joy on my kids' faces when we go do fun things together or when I attend one of their school functions or extra-curricular practices helps make the inevitable physical sacrifice so much more worth it!  I'm starting to feel a little bit better tonight, so hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to my "normal".


Lenka said...

I am rallying to get to my daughter's school play this morning, when all this tired body wants to do is lay down and rest a few hours (or days). So nice to hear that I am not the only one!

Super-glad your meeting went well! I remember that feeling so well, of being in a room of people with CMT for the first time. So surreal! We are not alone after all :)

Your weekend sounds very busy, like mine! I hope we both get good rest soon! :)

I'm Nic. said...

I've been anxious to read about how your support group went. Myself and another local CMTer were supposed to get a group going in my area but I had to "put a pin in it" when I found out I was pregnant and that my Mom had cancer. Reading about your experience has got me thinking perhaps it is time to get the ball going on a group in our area again. I like your food idea...I didn't even think about food but food is the great common ground, isn't it? Hope you find some time to put your feet up and restore. :)

CM2 said...

I'm jealous that you can make it to support groups....they have some in the NYC area but they are always on Saturday which is not really an option for me. I did go to a HNF meeting once and it was way way cool. I love meeting other normal, cool CMT people. Kudos to you for running it! Get some rest!

Casee said...

Glad the meeting went well! Wow, that sounds like a busy (albeit good) weekend. Hope you are feeling better by now!

cmtnyus said...

Glad to see your first meeting was a great success! It's nice that you all had a chance to talk and ask each other questions. At my first meeting in Albany, NY- 50 people showed up, and I was worried that no one would come. We went around the room for introductions and everyone said they had never me another person with CMT. Now we know many.