Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Long Day

Wow, today was an insanely long day.  Longest I think I've had in a very long time.  Last night when I was getting ready for bed, I noticed that the spot where that callous had been cut out had bled.....a lot.  Soaked completely through the bandage and my sock.  Zuke and I cleaned it up, put some antibacterial spray on it, and wrapped it up for the night.  Around 1:30, I woke up with my foot throbbing like crazy.  I took the wrap off, thinking that relieving the pressure would make it stop hurting.  Nope.  No such luck.  I spent the rest of the night tossing and turning because my foot hurt so bad.

I got up this morning, put on my AFO, and stood up to walk to the bathroom.  I took one step on my foot, and pretty much crumbled back onto the bed in tears.  It felt like someone was stabbing a sharp knife straight into my foot.  Walking on it definitely was not an option.  I put a call in to my podiatrist to see if there was any way he could squeeze me in sooner for surgery.  I got a very quick "no" answer, but the nurse did say that they could call in a prescription for me, so I took that offer.

This next part is testament to how much it pays to know the right people.  One of my mom's neighbors is the office manager to one of the biggest groups of orthopedic doctors in the state, so she put a call in to him.  I originally had an appointment scheduled with Dr. F for the middle of October, but this friend of my parents' got me in at 1:00 this afternoon.  Dr. F is, according to my insurance, the only foot and ankle specialist in the county, so I was pretty excited to be seeing him.  I went in with a single mission - get rid of this bone spur and stop this excruciating pain.  I got a lot more than that!

Well first off, he told me that apparently the callous was what is called a "core callous", meaning it wasn't just on the surface.  My podiatrist most likely dug a little too deep to get it out, which is what made it bleed.  He said it was most definitely inflamed, but not infected, and should feel better in a couple days.  He also gave me a cam walker to wear until it felt better so that there wouldn't be as much pressure on that spot.  Unfortunately, his available surgery date would be two weeks later than I already have scheduled, so I'm just keeping with my previous one.

Then came the crazy part....well, to me at least.  He started talking about my CMT, and showed me on all my x-rays what could/should be fixed. He talked about what could happen if we didn't fix certain things, and how long I could possibly go without doing anything.  Keep in mind that I haven't had any big surgery for over 4 1/2 years, so this was all a bit overwhelming.  I think I would have freaked out a bit, except that I have never been to a doctor who seemed to know as much about CMT as this one.  He was able to look at my x-rays and pick out the surgeries that had already been done.  My husband asked him if he'd worked with CMT patients before, and he said that he'd worked with quite a few.  He knew his stuff.

Needless to say, we left that appointment with my head spinning.  We have a surgical plan for my left foot (which is the worse of the two), even though it will be at least a year before I can afford the recovery time.  He also wrote me a prescription for an AFO on my right foot as soon as I feel like going to get one.  Having a doctor tell me that I will definitely need surgery and another AFO was kind of a hard pill to swallow.  I knew that eventually I'd need more surgery and another AFO, and maybe I'd just been avoiding the reality of all of it.  Luckily I have some time to let it all sink in.

In any case, it was a good visit.  I'm still hopping around on crutches.  I took a pain pill a little while ago, and while my foot is no longer in constant pain, it only takes a little pressure for all the pain to come raging back.  Hopefully another pill before bed will help enough that I can actually get back to being useful again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Casee said...

I am so sorry that you are in pain, I hope it subsides very soon! Hang in there.e